Tuesday 4 August 2009

How to wear the A/W trend

As A/W catwalks portrayed attitude, power and authority, one may take this with a snide giggle of irony after being made redundant or having a slash in bonuses whilst another may thrive on this trend and exude such confidence themselves.

Either way, stores will now undoubtedly be filled with exaggerated shoulder dresses and jackets, structured blazers and killer heels. This summer has already embraced this proven by the infinite number of boyfriend blazers being sported by the public.

Whilst browsing through the multiple shows from the catwalks, I began to wonder how we can all translate this trend to suit our styles. Clearly each person has their own unique style, some edgy, some softer.

Balmain seems to be the designer that best portrays this structured, winter trend, the glistening silver dress being of much hype in fashion magazines with George at Asda making a Well, epecially in the UK, we will very quickly be saying goodbye to the summer and hello to Winter… I hope this helps inspire! Remarkably similar one.

Asda - £16

But what if I am not a fan of the structured shoulder? Or what if I want to incorporate these tailored pieces but with an element of fluidity? 3.1 Phillip Lim’s collection gives you just that.

My doubts in this trend initially stemmed from my unease, or shall we say indecisiveness, towards the extended shoulders and my longing for holding onto the fluidity and movement of the summer season. However, I must accept that seasons change and I MUST ADAPT.

I shall definitely embrace the leather the next season will undeniably bring… I am loving the Balmain studded leather dress (I have just recently purchased a gold studded high waisted skirt from Topshop) and I am actually being won over by the shoulders especially on a sharp black blazer teamed with a casual tee.

Phillip Lim


Balmain

Well, epecially in the UK, we will very quickly be saying goodbye to the summer and hello to Winter… I hope this helps inspire your next wardrobe step!


No comments: